IL News 003/2016
International Journal Publication
Winning essays will be published in The Review of Faith & International Affairs journal
International Conference Presentation
1st place winners will present their papers at the Institute for Global Engagement’s
international conference on Religion and Law in S.E. Asia, in Singapore in December 2016
Cash Prize for Professionals
Winner: US$ 2,500
Runner-up: US$ 1,500
Cash Prize for Students
Winner: US$ 1,000
Runner-up: US$ 500
July 1, 2016
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Essays must compare the formation of religious freedom in one or more Southeast Asian countries
(or Southeast Asia as a whole) with the formation of religious freedom in one or more countries in
the West (or the West as a whole). Essays can discuss key socio-political factors, legal contexts,
individual leaders, and/or major current and emerging issues and threats related to religious
freedom in Southeast Asia and the West. Essays should identify examples of positive progress and
also examples of erosion of religious and other freedoms both in Southeast Asia and the West, and
the practical lessons that might be learned.
Essays will be evaluated by a panel of five experts chosen by the Institute for Global Engagement, in
consultation with the Institut Leimena. Submitted essays will be judged on both content and style.
In order to be competitive, an essay must focus directly on the essay contest topic and be clear,
engaging, logically organized, and cogently argued.
Essay Contest for Students Rules:
- A student entrant must be a 12th Grader, College Undergraduate, or Graduate Student.
- Essays submitted to the Student Contest must be between 3,000 and 5,000 words in length
(inclusive of references).
Essay Contest for Professionals Rules:
- A professional entrant can be employed in any field, and must not be enrolled in any degree
program on more than a quarter-time basis.
- Essays submitted to the Professional Contest must be between 5,000 and 7,000 words in length
(inclusive of references).
- The contest is open to any writer who is a citizen of ASEAN countries; entrants need not be
currently resident in ASEAN countries.
- Essays must be original works, not previously published, in whole or in part. Any degree or form
of plagiarism will result in disqualification.
- Essays should use citations sparingly. Essays must use the “Harvard” (author date) style for
citations, and must include a Bibliography of Works Cited at the end.
- Essays must not infringe on any third-party rights or intellectual property. Entrants agree to
indemnify the Institute for Global Engagement for any claim, demand, judgment or other
allegation arising from possible violation of someone’s trademark, copyright or other legally
protected interest in any way in the entrant’s essay.
- Essay submissions must be accompanied by an up-to-date CV, including current mailing
address, email address, and phone number. Only one essay per entrant may be submitted.
- Essays are only accepted electronically as email attachments in Microsoft Word or PDF file
format. Please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Essays must be received via email no laterthan 11:59 PM Jakarta (GMT +7) on July 1, 2016.
- All entrants will be notified of results by September 1, 2016. The decisions of the judges are final.
- Prize winners agree to allow the Institute for Global Engagement to publish, at its sole discretion,
their essays online and in The Review of Faith & International Affairs(www.tandfonline.com/rfia)
and to either assign copyright or grant exclusive license to the Institute for Global Engagement.
- First-place winners will be invited to Singapore in December 2016, to present their papers at an
international conference on religion and law in Southeast Asia. All travel expenses will be covered.
- Winners will be solely responsible for any taxes and currency conversion fees.
- Employees of the Institute for Global Engagement or the Institut Leimena, its board of directors
and their immediate family members are not eligible.
QUESTIONS AND INQUIRIES
Please forward all your questions and inquiries to: email@example.com